NPA chief says prosecutor felt unsafe in Joe Ferrari case

Author Profile Image

Ronald Ralinala

May 19, 2026

The National Prosecuting Authority’s top brass has confirmed that a senior prosecutor involved in the high‑profile Joe “Ferrari” Sibanyoni extortion case raised concerns about personal safety last week. Adv. Andy Mothibi, the NPA head, told eNCA’s Thulasizwe Simelane that Adv. Mkhulise Ntaba, the state’s lead counsel on the matter, had approached him feeling “unsafe” amid an increasingly hostile media environment and a wave of public backlash.

Mothibi’s remarks come at a time when the Sibanyoni saga has dominated headlines across the country, stoking fears about the integrity of the criminal justice system. The 45‑year‑old former police officer, widely known by his moniker “Ferrari,” stands accused of orchestrating an elaborate extortion ring that allegedly targeted high‑profile individuals and amassed millions of rand. As the trial draws nearer, pressure is mounting on every player on both sides of the courtroom.

According to sources close to the NPA, the safety concerns were first flagged during a routine briefing in the NPA’s Johannesburg office. Adv. Ntaba reportedly expressed unease about potential intimidation tactics, including anonymous threats and social media smear campaigns aimed at discrediting the prosecution team. “He felt his personal security was compromised and that the environment was becoming increasingly volatile,” Mothibi confirmed in the televised interview.

The NPA has not disclosed the exact nature of the threats, citing operational security, but insiders indicate that the alleged intimidation aligns with a pattern seen in other high‑stakes cases involving organised crime. “When you deal with someone who has deep connections and a track record of coercion, it is not unusual for the state’s representatives to feel pressure,” one legal analyst, who wishes to remain anonymous, told us.

Public reaction to the revelations has been swift. Many South Africans, already sceptical about the efficiency of law enforcement, view the prosecutor’s claims as a stark reminder of the challenges faced when confronting entrenched criminal networks. Social media platforms are abuzz with hashtags such as #SafetyForProsecutors and #JusticeForFerrari, reflecting a blend of support for the NPA and concern over the broader implications for the rule of law.

The case’s notoriety is amplified by the involvement of several influential personalities allegedly linked to the extortion scheme. While the NPA has refrained from naming specific victims, unverified reports suggest that business moguls and political figures may have been approached for illicit payments. This has added a layer of complexity, as the potential fallout could reverberate beyond the courtroom into the corridors of power.

In response to the safety concerns, the NPA has reportedly mobilised additional protective measures for its staff. Mothibi indicated that Adv. Ntaba would receive “enhanced security protocols,” including a personal security detail and secure communication channels. “Our priority is to ensure that every member of our legal team can perform their duties without fear,” he affirmed.

The developments also raise questions about the capacity of South Africa’s legal infrastructure to safeguard its own officers. Advocacy groups, such as the Democratic Lawyers’ Association, have called for a comprehensive review of security provisions for prosecutors handling high‑risk cases. Their statement reads, “The state must guarantee that those tasked with upholding justice are not left vulnerable to retaliation.”

Key facts at a glance:

  • Adv. Andy Mothibi disclosed the safety concerns on eNCA, confirming Adv. Mkhulise Ntaba’s unease.
  • Joe “Ferrari” Sibanyoni faces charges of orchestrating a multi‑million‑rand extortion ring.
  • The NPA has implemented enhanced security for the prosecutor involved.
  • Public sentiment is gauging the integrity of the justice system amid allegations of intimidation.

NPA steps up security amid escalating pressure in the Joe Ferrari Sibanyoni case

The NPA’s decision to bolster protection for its staff underscores the gravity of the situation. Sources within the department say that, beyond physical security, the office has introduced “digital hygiene” protocols to guard against cyber‑espionage. This includes encrypted email services, secure file‑sharing platforms, and regular audits of staff devices.

Legal experts argue that such measures are essential, given the sophistication of modern criminal enterprises. “If the state cannot protect its own lawyers, the public’s confidence in the criminal justice system erodes further,” noted Prof. Lindiwe Mabaso, a constitutional law lecturer at the University of Pretoria. “The precedent set here will either reinforce or weaken the pillars of our democracy.”

Meanwhile, the presiding judge in the Sibanyoni trial has been urged to consider the prosecutor’s safety when scheduling hearings. The defence has hinted that any perceived intimidation could be used to argue for a retrial or dismissal of evidence, a tactic not unfamiliar in South African courts. The NPA, however, remains steadfast, insisting that the evidence against Sibanyoni is robust and admissible.

Adv. Ntaba’s personal testimony, expected to be a cornerstone of the prosecution’s case, will reportedly address how the alleged threats did not impede the investigative process. “We have maintained the integrity of the investigation despite attempts to derail it,” the NPA reiterated in a written statement released after the interview.

The broader public debate has also touched on the role of the media in high‑profile prosecutions. Some commentators accuse certain outlets of sensationalising the case, potentially compromising the safety of legal officials. Others praise the press for shining a light on dangerous criminal activities. As SA Report covered earlier, balanced reporting is crucial to safeguarding both the accused’s right to a fair trial and the prosecutor’s right to work without fear.

Looking ahead, the court is slated to receive further briefing documents next week, after which a pre‑trial conference will set the timetable for the upcoming hearings. If the NPA’s security measures hold, the focus will shift back to the substantive evidence: wire‑tapped conversations, financial transaction records, and testimonies from alleged co‑conspirators.

South Africans from Cape Town to Pretoria have been following the story with keen interest, recognising that the outcome could set a benchmark for how the nation confronts organised crime. The phrase “Ferrari” has become shorthand for a new breed of criminality—tech‑savvy, financially motivated, and willing to challenge state authority.

As we reported earlier, the NPA’s willingness to publicly acknowledge the prosecutor’s safety concerns reflects a shift towards transparency. Yet the real test will be whether these assurances translate into a courtroom where justice can proceed unhindered. The eyes of the nation remain fixed on the legal battle, waiting to see if the scales of justice will finally tip in favour of the rule of law.

The unfolding saga serves as a stark reminder that fighting crime in South Africa is not merely a matter of statutes but also of protecting those who enforce them. Ensuring the safety of prosecutors like Adv. Mkhulise Ntaba is as vital to the outcome of the Joe “Ferrari” Sibanyoni case as the evidence itself, and the nation will be watching closely to see how the state balances these competing imperatives.