Tshwane finds bin of dough and truck of rejected bread being recycled

Author Profile Image

Ronald Ralinala

May 19, 2026

The City of Tshwane municipality has sparked a heated debate after inspectors stumbled upon a rust‑covered truck brimming with rejected loaves and a massive bin overflowing with dough, allegedly earmarked for recycling back into the food chain. The discovery, made during a routine health and safety sweep in the industrial suburb of Mamelodi, has sent shockwaves through local bakeries, consumer watchdogs and ordinary South Africans who worry about what might end up on their dinner tables. Our sources confirm that the operation appeared to be orchestrated by a private firm contracted to “repurpose” unsold bread, but city officials say the practice breaches both health regulations and basic hygiene standards.

City officials were alerted to the situation after a resident reported an odd smell emanating from a warehouse near the N1. When the municipal inspection team arrived, they found a 3‑tonne truck loaded with mouldy, stale bread rejected by major retailers, alongside a large container filled with raw dough that had been sitting for days without refrigeration. Photographs taken at the scene show the truck’s side doors ajar, exposing piles of stiff, crusty loaves that had clearly been earmarked for disposal rather than consumption. The bin of dough, described by the inspectors as “a potential health hazard,” was apparently intended for a process that would grind the dough into breadcrumbs for commercial use – a step that, according to the city’s health department, had not been authorised.

The municipal health director, Dr. Lindiwe Mthembu, condemned the operation as “a blatant disregard for public safety.” She explained that any attempt to recycle bread must adhere to strict Foodstuffs, Cosmetics and Disinfectants Act provisions, which include temperature controls, microbial testing and clear labelling. “Without these safeguards, you risk introducing pathogens such as Salmonella and E. coli into the food supply,” she warned, adding that the city would pursue penalties up to R500 000 for any contravention. The department has already lodged a formal complaint with the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS) and has initiated a full audit of all third‑party food‑recycling firms operating within Gauteng.

Local bakeries, who have long struggled with overproduction during the festive season, expressed a mix of frustration and relief. Peter Van Heerden, owner of a popular bakery in Pretoria East, told us that his business often discards up to 30 % of its daily output due to unsold stock. “Finding a legitimate channel to donate or safely recycle surplus bread would be a godsend,” he said, “but what we saw in Mamelodi is anything but legitimate.” Van Heerden’s comments echo a broader industry sentiment that the lack of a clear, regulated framework for bread waste management forces many producers into grey‑area solutions.

Consumer advocacy group FoodWatch SA seized on the incident, urging the Department of Health to tighten oversight and launch a public awareness campaign. In a statement released on Tuesday, the group highlighted that South Africa throws away an estimated 3 million tonnes of food each year, with a significant portion comprising bakery products. They argue that proper recycling can curb hunger and reduce landfill pressure, but only if rigorous testing and transparent supply chains are enforced. FoodWatch SA’s spokesperson, Thandi Nkosi, warned that “the line between waste reduction and public endangerment is thin; crossing it without safeguards is unacceptable.”

While the incident has ignited public anger, it also shines a light on a systemic problem: the absence of a national policy on food waste recycling. Currently, municipalities rely on fragmented bylaws, and many private firms operate with minimal supervision. The South African Baking Association (SABA) has previously called for a unified standard that would allow bakeries to donate surplus bread directly to charities, provided that the bread meets safety criteria. In response to the Tshwane episode, SABA’s chairperson, Megan Patel, announced that the association will draft a code of practice to be presented to the Department of Trade, Industry and Competition later this year.

The municipal investigation is still ongoing, but early reports suggest that the truck’s driver, a 48‑year‑old man from Centurion, may face charges of illegal food handling. He allegedly claimed he was hired by a “food‑recovery” company that promised to turn the rejected loaves into “value‑added products.” However, city officials say the paperwork presented by the firm was incomplete, lacking the necessary health‑sector authorisations.

As we reported earlier, this incident underscores the delicate balance between waste reduction and consumer safety. The public’s right to eat safe, hygienic food must not be compromised in the name of sustainability. Our investigative team will continue to monitor the legal proceedings and the city’s response, as well as any policy shifts that may arise from this controversy.

The fallout from the rejected bread recycling scandal could reshape how South Africa handles food waste. If regulators tighten the reins, bakeries might finally have a clear, lawful pathway to donate surplus stock, helping to alleviate hunger while protecting public health. Conversely, lax enforcement could see more clandestine operations sprouting, endangering citizens and eroding trust in food safety institutions. Regardless of the outcome, this episode serves as a stark reminder that food safety, transparency and robust regulation must go hand‑in‑hand with any effort to curb waste.