Joe Ferrari Sibanyoni Case Struck Off Roll At Kwaggafontein Court

Author Profile Image

Ronald Ralinala

May 18, 2026

The case against Joe “Ferrari” Sibanyoni, Bafana Sindane, Mvimbi Daniel Masilela and Philemon Msiza has been struck off the roll at the Kwaggafontein Magistrates’ Court after the prosecutor failed to appear for proceedings. As we reported earlier, the matter was scheduled for hearing but the state’s representative did not show up, prompting the magistrate to remove it from the court roll. Our sources indicate that the decision means the matter will not proceed further for now, leaving the accused in legal limbo.

The four men were originally charged in connection with alleged criminal activity that drew public attention earlier this year. Sibanyoni, known by his nickname “Ferrari”, Sindane, Masilela and Msiza faced accusations that prompted a swift police response and subsequent arrest. Legal representatives for the defence have consistently maintained that the charges lacked sufficient evidence, a claim they reiterated outside the courthouse following today’s development.

Magistrate Thandi Mokoena, presiding over the matter, explained that the absence of the prosecutor constituted a procedural flaw that could not be overlooked. She emphasised that the court’s role is to ensure fair trial standards, and that proceeding without the state’s counsel would jeopardise those principles. The magistrate’s ruling was delivered calmly, with no further adjournment date set at this stage.

Legal analysts say the strike‑off does not equate to an acquittal, but rather a temporary halt pending the prosecutor’s readiness to resume. “The case is essentially on hold,” noted advocate Lindiwe Khuzwayo, who has been monitoring the proceedings. “Unless the state files a fresh notice of intention to prosecute, the matter could remain dormant indefinitely.”

Community members in Kwaggafontein have expressed mixed reactions, with some voicing relief that the court upheld procedural integrity, while others worry about perceived delays in justice. Local trader Sipho Mahlangu told us he hopes the authorities will sort out the administrative hiccup quickly so that residents can move forward. “We need certainty, not lingering uncertainty,” he said.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has not yet issued an official statement regarding the prosecutor’s non‑appearance. However, internal sources suggest a scheduling clash may have contributed to the absence, and that steps are being taken to prevent a recurrence. The NPA’s regional office in Mpumalanga is expected to brief the court on next steps within the coming week.

Our earlier coverage highlighted that the arrests stemmed from an investigation into alleged illicit vehicle modification and associated financial improprieties. Police seized several high‑end vehicles, including a Ferrari‑styled vehicle linked to Sibanyoni, which sparked the nickname that has followed him through the case. The seizure formed a core part of the evidence presented during the initial bail hearing.

## Kwaggafontein Magistrates’ Court case struck off the roll

The H2 reflects the central development that has shaped today’s narrative: the procedural removal of the matter from the court roll due to the prosecutor’s absence. This focal point underscores the importance of adherence to court protocols, a theme that resonates with both legal practitioners and the public watching the case unfold.

Looking ahead, the defence team is likely to push for a formal discontinuation of the charges, arguing that the prolonged stall prejudices their clients’ right to a speedy trial. Meanwhile, the prosecution will need to address the internal lapse and demonstrate that the case can proceed without further procedural setbacks. Until then, the four accused remain on bail, awaiting clarity on whether the state will revive its pursuit or let the matter fade away.

As we continue to monitor the situation, SA Report will keep our readers informed of any updates from the Kwaggafontein Magistrates’ Court, the NPA and the legal teams involved. The outcome of this procedural twist could have broader implications for how similar cases are handled in the jurisdiction, especially concerning the State’s readiness to prosecute. We remain committed to delivering accurate, timely coverage that reflects the realities faced by South Africans navigating the justice system.